I’ve been trying to figure out what to do with the pound of mussels and pound of clams sitting in my freezer. I found this recipe a few weeks ago, and here is what it looks like:
- 1/2 cup plus 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 pounds mussels, scrubbed, bearded and rinsed
Bearded? Haha, whatever that means. I just cleaned it.
- 2 pounds clams
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 3 salted anchovy fillets, rinsed and chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 ribs celery, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 carrot, cut into 1/8-inch dice
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 slices country bread
I just totally skipped out on bread
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, chopped to yield 1/4 cup
Italian parsley? I just used the regular bunch
Prepare the shellfish
In 2 separate pots, place 1/2 cup white wine. Add mussels to 1 pot, clams to the other, cover both pots and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to an active simmer and cook until mussels and clams have been steamed open, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the shellfish from their respective pots, reserving the cooking liquid, and allow to cool. Once cool, shuck shellfish and discard shells.
Put it all together
In a large soup pot, combine the shellfish cooking liquid, vinegar, 1/4 cup oil, anchovies, peppers, onion, celery, carrot and garlic and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the shellfish and stir to heat through.
Now I have no idea how to store it, I made way too much!