Santa Marta, Colombia – 5/5.

Part Five of a Five Part Series.

Day 5 (Monday):

It’s the last day of enjoying Colombia before heading back to the United States and it’s packed with plans. First was a trip to la Quinta de San Pedro Alejandrino. Did I know where I was going? Nope, but we did pass up the Exito we visited the day before. This is the death place of Simon Bolivar, a.k.a “El Libertador.” The place is now a museum and monument with an awesome garden. Paso Bolivar.

Afterwards, we visited the port again, but this time with sunlight. It’s totally different during the day…and hot. We stopped to get a cup of camaron from a well known cart near the beach. I wanted some gifts, so we walked around the streets and stopped by another Exito. We ended up back at the market street and I’m craving some more sapote, so we grab a cup…YUM! Hermanos.

After returning to the house, we rested up and I got ready to play photographer for Leah and Marcelo’s pictures, while David got ready to become the god father for his niece. Off we went, just in time for the sunset and lighting. I was a bit nervous because I haven’t shot direct sunset photos before and didn’t know what to expect. There’s a really small time frame when the sun is just right for photos and you have to make the best of it. When it was all over, it was time to head back and get ready to celebrate David’s newly baptized niece. Yes, this means more eating, more drinking, and definitely more vallenato. Photo Shoot, Done!

Despite the stomach-ache I got (probably from the camaron), I tried to enjoy the night. I ended up packing up and passing out early. I woke up in the middle of the night, still heard music and chatting, so I walked outside. It was Daniel, his friends, and his father. We just bullshitted all night and drank a little more. I said what I could and listened as much as I could. It was only a few hours until we had to leave for the airport, but Daniel and his friends wanted to eat. We went off to get arepas de huevo and some juice made from rice. Man, what a way to end the night, too.

I don’t even want to talk a lot about the trip back. We got a cab at 4:10 AM, a flight got canceled, we got new itinerary, blah blah blah and we didn’t land in Houston until 8:15 PM. That’s about sixteen hours cramped in two cabs, a bus, and three planes!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Solve this: Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.